POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments : Re: Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments - 2 attachments Server Time
5 May 2024 02:34:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments - 2 attachments
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 7 Jan 2004 18:09:40
Message: <3ffc91b4$1@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in news:3ffc172f$1@news.povray.org:

> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>> But I now have a growing suspicion that it may not
>> be possible use bicubic Bezier patches to make such
>> a surface (that is completely smooth).
>
> I strongly suspect that too.
>
> This thread supports the suspicion:
> http://news.povray.org/povray.general/3084/
>
> That's why I was at one point so interested in bicubic patches with 3, 5
> and 6 edges, which is another approach to solving the topology problem.

I recall a faint memory of such a discussion in p.a.u.
But I didn't follow that thread very closely.

Maybe now would be a good time to read through it.

For you others, I found it here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/26671/

> The promising result can be seen here:
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/26690/

Yes, it looks good.

> My ultimate goal was quite similar to yours: To be able to define a list
> of points and a list of patches with corners in those points. Only
> difference was that exactly four patches had to meet in a point, but
> then the patches could have 3, 4, 5 or 6 edges. I abandoned it though -
> the triangular bicubic patch was coded by Micha Riser and improved by
> me. However, Micha Riser never coded similar patches for 5 and 6 edges,
> and I didn't understand the scientific papers on which the special
> bicubic patches were based, so I couldn't do it myself.

Can you please point me to thoses papers ?

Tor Olav