POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 7 Jan 2004 05:00:43
Message: <3ffbd8cb$1@news.povray.org>
> This is what MegaPOV did. You seem to know that, but you also seem to be
> trying to suggest something new...am I missing something?

Ehm, well, I never used MegaPOV, so my assumptions were based upon something
somebody told me... Now I'm completely unsure whether what I'm saying was
already existing at some point... Well... If we just take the reflection
rays, I'd think that'd be sufficient. Specular highlights is a crude
approach, meant to "simulate" highlights, were there "should" actually be a
bright object to reflect. I don't see any limitation with that. Yet again,
instead of an angular cone, one could use more complex setups, to actually
model BRDFs (BiDirectional Distribution Functions).
Yet again, the problem with the sampling... But isn't sampling a problem all
the time? I'd just suggest using an evenly spaced bunch of samples, so that
nearby pixels might (when their surface-normal is same) shoot in the general
same direction and thus wouldn't be so far apart colorwise to make artifacts
that visible...
I' ve got no clue though how it was really achieved technically in MegaPOV,
and from your post, I guess that I'm just suggesting something which has be
done before, but didn't make it into POV 3.5 for some reasons. Perhaps I'll
have to do dig into the Source-Code and come up with an approach myself, but
that'll require time and patience until I'm capable to do that. Still, its
on my to-do list for my life... :-P

Regards,
Tim

--