POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments : Re: Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments - 2 attachments Server Time
4 May 2024 23:05:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments - 2 attachments
From: Daniel Nilsson
Date: 6 Jan 2004 16:22:21
Message: <3ffb270d@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor_olav_kCURLYAhotmail.com> wrote in message

> They show that the surface might not be completely
> smooth around the "seems" between the patches.
>
> My idea was to have all the 8 control points that
> surrounds each "corner point" to lie in the same
> plane.
>
> It seems that the results are better if the star
> around each of the corner points is regular.
>
> But I now have a growing suspicion that it may not
> be possible use bicubic Bezier patches to make such
> a surface (that is completely smooth).
>
> Does anyone know if I'm right about this ?

I did some work with bicubic patches once and iirc I could get at least
tangent continuity between patches if the control points on both sides of
the edge is in a straight line. I found this mostly by my own
experimentation and have no mathematical proof.
To fix you patches try to make the points A, B and C in the attached image
be in one line (and similar for the other edges). That way your star will
actually become a pentagon.

--
Daniel Nilsson

Post a reply to this message