POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Atmospher vs. Media : Re: Atmospher vs. Media Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Atmospher vs. Media
From: Khalid Hanna
Date: 6 Jan 2004 07:51:20
Message: <3ffaaf48$1@news.povray.org>
Hello Bob,
I have not worked as much as on the conversion yet so I do not have ideas
like you do. But I had a scene in mind and wanted to take some ideas from
Atmo.pov only to find out that Atmosphere is no longer supported. Most
likely I have to try it in V3.0 and at the same time work on rendering it in
v3.5.
I also rendered your scene you attached yesterday. The result is very far
from the original. I will get the one you attached in binaries and see how
it goes.
I also sent a cancelation for my previous post but it is still there.

Khalid

"Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "Khalid Hanna" <kha### [at] rogerscom> wrote in message
> > I know that povray 3.5 no longer supports Atmosphere (replaced by
Media).
> > Now in V3.0 (which I
> > still have a copy of) there was a file called Atmo.Pov and it animated a
> > ratating light source in foggy atmosphere. How can I change it to be
> > compatible with the 3.5 version.
>
> Hi there again, Khalid.
>
> I've redone the scene file found in the directory
> POV-Ray\POV3DEMO\ATMOS\atmo4.pov, now that I dug out the old 3.02 version
> and used it to compare it with 3.5 media. I think I got it pretty close.
You
> should be able to copy the atmosphere declarations to another scene file
and
> get similar renders to the old 'atmosphere' feature.
>
> What I'm unsure of, is, how will it behave without a room to contain it?
And
> will there be artifacts due to differences in sampling, intervals and
> whatever else. In other words, I only tweaked values until it looked okay.
> Most notably is the lack of a 'distance' parameter for media, so I'm
> guessing density might help with that. What is obvious in my edited scene
> file is that I had to use low extinction values. I wished I didn't need
to,
> since that is always said to be a kind of artificial adjustment.
>
> Posting the new scene file to the povray.binaries.scene-files group.
Please