POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light source performance impact problems : Re: Light source performance impact problems Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light source performance impact problems
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Jan 2004 17:20:32
Message: <3ff891b0@news.povray.org>

news:Xns9465AF0B848F7cybermans.pov.posts.@204.213.191.226...
> Suggestions?
> Commentaries?
> Questions regarding how it's coded?

Well, 15000 lights is a lot of lights. I remember doing similar scenes and
running into problems with a few hundreds of them... At least if you have
light buffer issues (very long parsing time) you can turn them off with -UL
but it won't help with the render time itself.
Still, the obvious question is, are all these lights really necessary ?
Wouldn't it be possible to fake the majority of them with (fast) emitting
media or even with clever texturing on the columns, leaving the actual
lighting to a few ones? With many lighting sources, the contribution of each
one is really minimal and unless you plan a very large render most won't be
seen at all. In any case, if you really need many lights, try using
spotlights instead of point lights, it should be faster.

> My problem at the moment is I have some 'glowing' crystals of which there
> are 40 some, no light sources on the columns and a parallel area light. It
> seems that puting the light sources in the crystals slows things down
> immensly.

Putting lights into transparent objects certainly requires further
calculations so it's not unexpected. Again the question is whether this
could be faked.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com