POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More than 15000 Bicubic Patches - 1 attachment : Re: More than 15000 Bicubic Patches - 1 attachment Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:53:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More than 15000 Bicubic Patches - 1 attachment
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 4 Jan 2004 02:52:19
Message: <3ff7c633@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in news:cjameshuff-
545### [at] netplexaussieorg:

> In article <3ff1174c$1@news.povray.org>,
>  Tor Olav Kristensen <tor_olav_kCURLYAhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Interesting...how much memory does your system have? Swapping could
>> > account for a great deal of the slowness of type 1.
>>
>> I have (512-64)MB of RAM.
>> My PC is quite silent, so I didn't notice any serious disc-trashing.
>> But of course - you are right: It must have done some swapping.
>
> Yeah, it must have...512-64?
> That's...<http://www.google.com/search?q=512-64>...448MB?

You are right. 448 MB. That's because I have a motherboard with a
built in graphics "card", which is sharing the available memory
with my Athlon processor. I have allocated 64MB of my 512MB to the
graphics processor.

> Just a little
> under half as much as the scene was using...I'm guessing that made some
> difference. Want to run a test using about a third as many patches?

Ok. Now I have done so.

I reduced the number of patches to just above 5000.
Now the results are much better:

Parsing: 0m 09s
Tracing: 0m 07s

@ 2GHz Athlon

Peak memory used 315 MB.

> Hmm, systems with lots of memory bandwidth and space (like the PPC G5 or
> most recent Athlons) would probably do pretty well with type 1 patches...

I think so too...

Tor Olav