POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 2.2 and Crossroads : Re: Pov 2.2 and Crossroads Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 2.2 and Crossroads
From: nathen watson
Date: 1 Jan 2004 17:41:59
Message: <3ff4a237@news.povray.org>
I also tried using Crossroads to convert POV meshes to other formats, but I
couldnt figure out how to use the program to do it. Also, it seemed
pointless to me to try to use a much older version of POV, since the current
version of POV is much more capable, and has many more features.

I like the way that a person can use the programming and mathematics
capabilities of POV to create shapes and objects. I have always wanted to
make shapes and objects with POV, and then export them to other formats, so
I could render them with other renderers, like Bryce 4.

POV 3.5 does has the ability to export triangle meshes to other formats, if
you write macros to do it.

I have been working on a set of macros, that export triangle meshes to .OBJ
file format. (Of all the file formats that I looked at, .OBJ seemed to be
the simplest). I have got these macros working enough to export a few basic
mesh shapes, like spheres, cones, and cylinders, to .OBJ file format.  I
have rendered a few models that were created from these POV macros in Bryce
4, Vue dEsprit 4, and Blender.

I use the Poseray program extensively in developing the macros, as Poseray
lets me view the .OBJ shapes that these POV macros create. Poseray also
removes degenerate triangles, and can clean up the models, add normals, etc.

I think the solution to the export question is to use the current
capabilities of POV, rather than using older versions of programs which are
no longer supported.

I hope that in future versions of POV, the POV development team will add
native export capabilities that can export POV primatives to popular mesh
file formats.

Nathen Watson