POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where are the archives? : Re: Where are the archives? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are the archives?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 29 Dec 2003 14:10:51
Message: <3ff07c3b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi there, Laurent. I don't remember there ever being a mailing list... which
doesn't mean there wasn't, of course.

I think the news.povray.org was started in 1997, and thereafter was purged
in 1999, if I can rely on what I found in a brief search for info about
that. I recall a several people talked about keeping an archive of the
removed message posts; Tony B. (Anthony Bennett) was one of those people who
had saved the files maybe, and I had most of them at the time the change
occured. Might still be on a CD-R here someplace.

As far as there being any on the web....? I don't believe so, because of the
copyright issue involved for one thing. Unless the people in charge of
www.povray.org has placed them someplace, but I don't think that ever
happened. Idea was to clear much-needed web space. Seems to me it would have
required hundreds of megabytes web space to store it. For the users of the
time that was too much to handle, and difficulty in uploading. Hopefully I'm
remembering all this correctly, since I'm not sure if a server change was
made or if the space allotted was just limited.

A check of what I have now currently shows approx. 2/3 gigabyte of files,
compressed to under 1/2 GB, and that's just since March 2003 when I got this
notebook computer. Previous files would either be on CD-R or one of my
HDD's. Not sure how well it would go but you could always ask if anyone has
a particular message/item/file relating to those between '97 and '99 if you
ever had to see something again.

Now that this has been brought up once again I must wonder 'when the next
"purge" might occur?' as that seems inevitable unless the server storage
allows for more than 5 GB(?).

Bob H.