POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : motion blur in POV : Re: motion blur in POV Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: motion blur in POV
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 29 Dec 2003 07:01:51
Message: <3ff017af$1@news.povray.org>
> > You can't. POV is a 3D rendering program, not a 2D compositing tool.
>
> Well, technically, you could. It wouldn't be entirely easy, but certainly
> possible. With an orthographic camera and some planes in front of it, each
> with a texture map and a set transparency, in theory I think it could be
> done. It might even be possible to write a macro which takes a base
filename
> and a number of frames and averages the given files.

Exactly and I've already written such 2d-compositing macros, that are pixel
accurate and can be used to blend images in various ways (overlay, screen,
etc like a paintprogram). The reason I did this, is because POV gives me
*much* more 2d-animation flexibility than any paintprogram I can think of...
I will post the macros on "povray.binaries.scene-files" in case anyone is
interested.

Regarding the motion blur - well - it will be time consuming to render the
extra amount of frames. You'd need at least 2 times more, and for fast
movements maybe 3 or more.

Regards,
Hugo