POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interruptable/resumable parsing? : Re: Interruptable/resumable parsing? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interruptable/resumable parsing?
From: Slime
Date: 28 Dec 2003 19:38:26
Message: <3fef7782@news.povray.org>
Even a mesh of the size you're describing shouldn't take *that* long to
generate. Why don't you post your code, maybe there's something in it that's
slowing it down.

> The only way to speed things up I could imagine would be limiting the
> parsing process only to triangles actually visible in the
> scene

You can't determine if an object is within the scene until you have parsed
it. If you wanted an optimization like this, you would need to implement it
manually with SDL code.

> So I ask you whether it could be possible to interrupt and resume the
> parsing - as I live in a one-room flat with no chance to
> stow away the computer at night, and the fans are loud enough to keep me
> from sleeping.

You can write a piece of SDL code which outputs the mesh to a file, line by
line. You could then set variables to the starting and ending lines, and
have it append output each time you run to the same file. In this way you
could generate your mesh in multiple passes, manually setting the
starting/ending lines as necessary each time.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]