POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interruptable/resumable parsing? : Re: Interruptable/resumable parsing? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interruptable/resumable parsing?
From: Pascal
Date: 28 Dec 2003 13:03:08
Message: <3fef1adc$1@news.povray.org>
> So I ask you whether it could be possible to interrupt and resume the
> parsing - as I live in a one-room flat with no chance to
> stow away the computer at night, and the fans are loud enough to keep me
> from sleeping.

Maybe a suspend to disk will do ? Never tried , but this is the best bet I
could come with ...

> And are there other ways to accelerate parsing?

As Gilles said, look at the isosurface technique. If you have a grayscale
cylindrical
projection of the topography, then look at the IC_HF_Sphere macro of
Christoph's
IsoCSG package.
You may also determine the angular coordinates of the visible perimeter,
then generate only the visible mesh ...

Also , when rendering planetary surfaces, beware of floating point precision
problems ...
Usually topographic data from probes are expressed in meters,
(at least it is the case with Clementine) which may not be the unit you want
when rendering the entire globe (moon radius is around 1738000 meters,
a number povray considers infinite)

Good luck,

--
pascal.