POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 22 Dec 2003 06:45:13
Message: <3fe6d949$1@news.povray.org>

news:3fe68802$1@news.povray.org...

> All three rendering systems you mentions (Mentalray, PRman, Mantra) use
> tessellation to map polygons onto the surface of a nurbs just before
> rendering. They actually render the poly's not the nurbs.

Perhaps I'm putting my foot in my mouth here, but isn't this done on-the-fly
and adaptative ? In a car modelled with Rhino for instance, the car body and
the gearshift are both complex objects requiring a lot of polys when seen in
close-ups. However, they may not need the same number of polys depending on
the view of the model. In an animation doing a fly over from the exterior of
the car into the interior, I imagine that the renderer would "decide" on the
optimal number of polys, depending on what objects are visible and close to
the camera, thus saving a lot of RAM.

> In fact it
> would seem faster to have already processesed the NURBS to creat the 500M
of
> poly's before render time so this is not done every time a frame is
> rendered. Is not speed the real issue.

I don't know. Possibly tesselating NURBS and rendering the polys is faster
than rendering them in a native form.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com