POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 20 Dec 2003 17:58:12
Message: <3fe4d404$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:3fe42e50$1@news.povray.org...

> In short: POV-Ray doesn't "talk" natively to other products.
> 1) Your modelers, animators, texturers won't be able to have
>  their fine work correctly and fluently translated in POV-Ray.

I suppose I was suffering from a myopia that if I have done some modelling
in povray blobs, everyone ought to be able to do it professionally. and a
blind optimism that one day someone will make a boning sytem for bicubic
patches that can be easily handled in povray.

> These are just examples: there are many other issues to consider
> such as rendering speed, availability of POV-savvy graphic artists,
> tech support etc.

So where's 4.0 headed?  Will the future development process for povray
simply involve introduction of new MegaPov features, or will it ever get to
a much faster rendering engine?  (Hey, I'm not disparaging its rendering
speed or demanding a feature request: I don't even know enough about the
engine to know whether a manyear of volunteer effort could make "povray" a
faster renderer.)