POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : working in this field professionally : Re: working in this field professionally Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: working in this field professionally
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 19 Dec 2003 08:09:49
Message: <3fe2f89d@news.povray.org>
Program ended abnormally on 18/12/2003 23:03, Due to a catastrophic Greg
M. Johnson error:

> If you want $$ from the *code you make for* a freeware community, I'd say
> you're up against a brick wall, both culturally and practically.  But here
> are some ways to earn a living *using* povray:
>
> 1)  Start up a gallery at zazzle.com.   Rumor has it that Gilles Tran
> made $90 in one month from sales of his artwork.  I however
> have yet to make a penny.
>
> 2)  Make a demo reel of animations and walk into your local donut shop.
> Show them to the manager and ask him if he or she'd like to pay you to make
> TV commercials for him.  If I would ever find myself unemployed, I have half
> a mind to do this myself.
>
> 3)  Make a realllllllllllllly cool web site and put up a PayPal site to
> collect donations.
>
> 4)  Print up your own T-shirts using your designs and set up shop in the
> back of a Pinto, driving from abandoned parking lot to abandoned parking lot
> in beach towns along your local seaboard  (my other half-a-mind is to do
> this.)

I have done CD Cover artwork using POV, but this has only gotten me a few free
CDs and free stickers - nothing to quit my day job over, especially considering
that it wasn't for a major label.  I have another friend who is orders of
magnitude more successful than I am with his CD artwork (not POV work, but this
is only for comparison) and still has to be the webmaster of 5 different web
sites to be able to pay his bills.

Unless you managed to be extremely good and managed to land yourself a gig with
a major company, I don't think this would be a valuable option.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }