POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : working in this field professionally : Re: working in this field professionally Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: working in this field professionally
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 18 Dec 2003 23:06:01
Message: <3fe27929$1@news.povray.org>
"incognito" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.3fe1eb0f799dbdef99a3b72f0@news.povray.org...

> From your (Tim) description above, I would say I am most interested in the
> art or scripting options and not so much in writing a ray tracer.

If you want $$ from the *code you make for* a freeware community, I'd say
you're up against a brick wall, both culturally and practically.  But here
are some ways to earn a living *using* povray:

1)  Start up a gallery at zazzle.com.   Rumor has it that Gilles Tran
(
http://www.zazzle.com/contributors/products/gallery/browse_results.asp?cid=238410409515734010
)
made $90 in one month from sales of his artwork.  I however
(http://www.zazzle.com/contributors/products/gallery/browse_results.asp?cid=
238024427131949824 ) have yet to make a penny.

2)  Make a demo reel of animations and walk into your local donut shop.
Show them to the manager and ask him if he or she'd like to pay you to make
TV commercials for him.  If I would ever find myself unemployed, I have half
a mind to do this myself.

3)  Make a realllllllllllllly cool web site and put up a PayPal site to
collect donations.

4)  Print up your own T-shirts using your designs and set up shop in the
back of a Pinto, driving from abandoned parking lot to abandoned parking lot
in beach towns along your local seaboard  (my other half-a-mind is to do
this.)