POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : working in this field professionally : Re: working in this field professionally Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: working in this field professionally
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 18 Dec 2003 09:04:07
Message: <3fe1b3d7$1@news.povray.org>
> I was introduced to POV-ray last month through a course I took and have
> relatively familiar with it. (I spent quite a lot of time on a project I
> was assigned). I was wondering if someone could tell me how you can enter
> this field professionally? What kind of training is necessary? Is it
> absolutely necessary to have an MS degree in graphics? I have faced a
> tremendous amount of adversity (which I won't get into lengthy explanation
> of) at the university that I took the course at and would prefer *not* to
> continue to pursue studies there.

> Thanks for your suggestions/ideas for me. Really need any insights.

Hi incognito!

I'm slightly confused what you're actually asking for when asking about
"entering this field professionally". For one, you could mean the
professional field of *programming* graphics, e.g. writing a ray-tracer,
doing research for new lighting models or different approaches to the
calculations - or you could mean the *art* of making images, with the
different aspects of modelling, texturing, animation or "rigging" - or the
*scripting* of things like particle-systems, water- and cloth-simulations,
phyisics etc, which is essentially writing a small programm in itself, but
making use of other's work, e.g. using POV-Ray as the raytracer.

There are various graphics courses at universities these day, and a wide
variety of computer engineering approaches. The path I've chosen is entitled
"Media & Computer Engineering" (or something similiar after the translation)
and tries to teach me to be a mediator between programming guys and artists,
by telling me a lot about both. Hence I can write programms (theoretically,
but I need more practice :-) and understand some of the difficulties of an
artist's perspective (in my case, mostly concerned with movies and/or
animations).

Aside of that, you really need to be more precise in what your actual
interest is for others to give you useful advice.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"