POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About PovRay 4 : Re: About PovRay 4 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About PovRay 4
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 16 Dec 2003 08:33:46
Message: <3fdf09ba$1@news.povray.org>

news:huottv8ip5lglngcmge0b7mq0u0o16oh8j@4ax.com...
> On 16 Dec 2003 05:48:17 -0500, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <lor### [at] onocom>
> wrote:
> > Is simple curiosity. Because PovRay 3.5 have a date of 2002 and i dont
know
> > if the "project" stay alive, or 3.5 was the last pov.
>
> What sign would you like to expect to see to know it is alive?

Note that it's not the first time that someone posts a question about
POV-Ray being still alive or not. I guess that it has a lot to do with the
way many Open Source projects are managed. I see that Giuseppe is also a
Blender user, and, in the case of Blender, updates and releases, some of
them important (new interface, native raytracing), have been issued at a
very fast pace lately (there are announces on an almost daily basis). This,
for what I gather from the Blender forums, keeps the community quite happy
and is a sure sign of vitality, but it also seems to come with a certain
price in usability, as the new features may be unstable, incomplete, not
well-documented, or cause legacy problems.

People used to this are certainly puzzled by POV-Ray's slow development
pace, which favours stability and usability over new features, and I found
that this simple concept wasn't quite clear for many people. Possibly this
could be explained somewhere.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com