POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questions about focal blur : Questions about focal blur Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Questions about focal blur
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 10 Dec 2003 08:49:34
Message: <3fd7246e$1@news.povray.org>
A few questions about focal blur which are not answered in the docs.

1. What is the shape of depth of field (DOF)? Plane? I'd like to suggest
(in future revisions) a possibility to alter the shape as in real
lenses. However, I don't know what is the correct mathematical
representation (paraboloid maybe?).

2. How is this DOF plane aligned? Is there allways a normal in DOF
plane, that goes through look_at point and location or can it be aligned
differently so that the normal goes from focal_point to camera location
and the look_at point is not on this line?

Severi Salminen