POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : texturing ideas : texturing ideas Server Time
28 Jun 2024 15:43:26 EDT (-0400)
  texturing ideas
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 7 Dec 2003 06:29:01
Message: <3fd30efd@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Povrays texturing system is quite powerful but when thinking about how I
would design a texturing system I came up with the following idea:

Since all things should be mapable we dont have a seperation of pigment,
finish and normal anymore but this:

specular{..}
diffuse{..}
phong{..}
reflection{..}
transparency{..}

and so on...

All these can take a normal{} modifier but we can also specify a general
normal modifier which applies to all of them.
They can be combined like this:

texture{
	substract{
		diffuse{...}
		specular{...}
	}
	multiply{
		transparency{...}
		ambient{...}
	}
}

Possible combinators could be add, average, substract, multiply, ...
The default combinator for texture could be additive.
I dont know where to put pigment{} yet but possibly all of them could
have one or you could again specify a general pigment for one combinator.

What do you think of this idea?