POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)? : Re: Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)?
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 4 Dec 2003 16:04:24
Message: <3fcfa157@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <3fce2444@news.povray.org>, Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
>
>> If the image disortion is 1/4 black, it may be a 4-byte RBG versus
>> 3-byte RGB problem, notably when encoding from non-YUV sources (i.e.
>> not jpeg). I once wrote a very dirty patch to make PNG -> MPEG encoding
>> work but it will not apply to recent versions.
>
> Great...I've been trying to encode from PNG.

Try encoding from multiple jpegs. If the problem persists, it is not
related to the mentioned colorspace convention bug. Otherwise it
probably is.

I'm sorry for not testing myself but I currently lack a recent version
and am just too busy with other things.

>> Hard to tell more from your unspecific description "won't play properly".
>
> Starts playing ok, except that the right 1/4 of the image is black and
> the actual contents of the movie are squashed into a square on the left
> side, and about 1/4 of the way into the movie it sometimes stops
> playing. Playback is jerkier than it should be.

Reminds me of the color conv problem.
I had color disortion in addition to the 1/4 screen problem.
Maybe I can look into that at the weekend; stay tuned :)

Wolfgang