POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface Brick Wall : Re: Isosurface Brick Wall Server Time
17 May 2024 18:00:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface Brick Wall
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 4 Dec 2003 09:12:12
Message: <3fcf40bc$1@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message
> Great looking brick wall. Sorry about the corner normal problem with
> the brick wall I posted.

No biggie.  It's always nice having a macro that a person writes himself,
and therefore understands the code perfectly, should it ever need to be
tweaked.  hehe.

> I plan to write a realistic brick wall macro for the final building in
> my Venice image (yes, *still* in progress). I may steal some of your
> ideas for that. It will be in the foreground so it'll have to be very
> detailed.

Feel free to use, borrow, modify, improve, etc.

> There are a lot of other factors/options that could be added to a
> brick wall macro, such as roughness of edges and mortar splatter,
> and aging/breaking. But the nice thing about a macro is, once
> written, it could create many different types of walls.

Right.  I'm not trying to write the brick-wall macro to end all brick wall
macros, but the idea has crossed my mind.  Right now, I just wanted
something that looks good from a small distance, and I've probably already
exceeded what I really need it for.  But then again, if I end up making
something that I want to put on a poster, I'll probably re-render at some
ultra-huge size.

> Look forward to seeing more of your work, and really appreciate you
> posting work like this (and your excellent grass macro) here.

Thanks!  I'm very grateful to everyone else who has donated their code and
macros and libraries, so whenver I come up with something that I haven't
seen before (or a new spin on something old), I try to post it here.  My
knowledge level will probably never be close to that of many others around
here - I'm barely scratching the surface of iso-surfaces (no pun intended) -
but for anyone new, or somewhere around my level, I hope to give them
something to work with.

And for anyone reading that might be afraid of trying iso-surfaces, don't
let iso-surfaces scare you.  Use Christoph's isoCSG library.  It's really
not as complex as it might seem.  Just don't forget about max_gradient.  ;-)

--
Jeremy