POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New editor for Linux : QTPOV Editor : Re: QTPOV Editor : new version Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:35:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QTPOV Editor : new version
From: gRRosminet
Date: 25 Nov 2003 14:16:26
Message: <3fc3aa8a$1@news.povray.org>

> I've been using the editor for about a week to check it out. The editor
> is excellent. There is a bug which I think I can reproduce. If the save
> button is clicked after a file has been closed, the last file closed
> will be erased and the editor will crash. I was not using the editor in
> KDE, so this might make a difference.

No, there is no difference betwenn if you have KDE or not. I'll fix this
problem as soon as possible.

An other known bug apears when the path or file name contains spaces
(only when trying to render the scene)

> The only other problem is that the entire path to a file is displayed in
> the tab, making the tabs pretty useless at 1024x768 unless a really tiny
> font is used.

That's right, I must modify this point.

> The only other problem has nothing to do with your program, but I'll ask
> since I'm assuming you develop with KDE. Your editor font selection uses
> the same list as all of the KDE apps. I, and several others whose
> questions I have seen posted on the Internet, have been unable to add
> installed bitmapped fonts to that menu. Any ideas?

I don't develop this with KDE, otherwise, you would have to compile QT
and the compile KDE with this QT version : inacceptable. All TTF fonts
can be used, but the do have to be installed for the X server. KDE
provide a tool to do this, I think Gnome have something like this too.
For bitmapped fonts, I don't know if QT can use them since it has it's
own font rendering engine and don't use XFree to do this.

> With a 17" monitor, a good font is almost a must for Pov-Ray. I used
> Luxi-Mono when using your editor, which is OK. Courier breaks up at
> nine-point, and there is no visible difference between periods and
> commas with Vera Sans Mono. The font which I have installed and use in
> non-KDE editors is profontwin, which I recommend to anyone who needs a
> very readable, fixed-width font at nine-point on a smallish monitor.
> http://www.tobias-jung.de/seekingprofont/index.html
>
>  -Shay

Thanks for your observations.

Thierry