POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realistic waves : Re: Realistic waves Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic waves
From: Tom Melly
Date: 20 Nov 2003 04:24:03
Message: <3fbc8833$1@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <ban### [at] Rapidnetcom> wrote in message
> Can anybody tell me how to go about creating a function for an
> IsoSurface that would generate realistic looking choppy water?  I'm
> looking for a "Stormy Seas" Effect.  Is this even possible?

It's certainly possible - play around with f_ridged_mf or f_ridge perhaps? (the
latter would need combining with another function, say one to give a nice wave
effect).

If you hunt around, you'll find a lot of images where iso's have been used to
generate the ocean. A poor example of stormy seas, and using old megapov syntax
iirc, would be:
http://www.tomandlu.co.uk/webres/raytracing/gallery/pics/tmstormc.jpg

(source at http://www.tomandlu.co.uk/webres/raytracing/gallery/tmstormc.zip )

If you want to play with that function, and need help updating to pov 3.5 let me
know.