POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : newbie: lights and cut-outs : newbie: lights and cut-outs Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:30:02 EDT (-0400)
  newbie: lights and cut-outs
From: Lee Brown
Date: 19 Nov 2003 16:53:55
Message: <3fbbe673@news.povray.org>
I am trying to make a scene with cutouts using csg.
In this example, I've taken two sphere's the smaller subtracted from the
larger to make a sphere with a hole.

If I have a light source outside of this construct, the effects are correct
(this is a glass object).  here is the script:

global_settings {
   photons {
     count 200000
     autostop 0
     jitter .4
     media 100
     max_trace_level 10
   }
 }

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

camera {
    location <0, 2, -10>
    look_at  <0, 1,  2>
  }

light_source {
  <1,2,-3>
  color White
  photons {
    refraction on
  }
}

difference {
  sphere {
    <0,1,0>
    1

  }
  sphere {
    <0,1,0>
    .9

  }
  inverse
  texture {
    pigment { color <1,1,1,.9> }
  }
  interior {
    ior 1.5
  }
  photons {
    target
    refraction on
  }
}

plane {
  y,-1
  texture { pigment { color White } }
}

Now if the light is repositioned to <0,1,0> it doesn't seem to produce the
expected result.

There must be a simple solution to this problem.  Can somebody please help
me with it?  Thanks,
Lee