POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Solaris compilation problem is BACK ... : Re: Solaris compilation problem is BACK ... Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solaris compilation problem is BACK ...
From: Warp
Date: 17 Nov 2003 06:34:58
Message: <3fb8b262@news.povray.org>
Dennis Clarke <dcl### [at] blastwaveorg> wrote:
> If you are using the Sun One Studio 8 Compiler Collection then I assure you
> that a simple -fast will not get you what you want.

  The "-fast" should be a flag which automatically turns on all the best
optimization flags for the current platform.
  It may be, of course, that it does not turn on certain optimization flags
which result in slightly non-standard code.

> Actually, depending on the scene file and the size of the output image you
> will find that the binary produced by gcc will not work very well past a size
> of about 10240x7680 pixels.

  What's this based on?
  I have no knowledge of POV-Ray taking more memory with larger images
(given that you are not using X preview) and I don't understand why it
wouldn't work with output images of any size.

>  The 64-bit build of povray for the UltraSparc
> works just fine at these sizes provided that you have the gigs of RAM needed.

  I don't see why the 32-bit build would have any problem with large images.
It's not like the image was stored in memory.

  The 64-bit binary can handle larger scenes and larger *input* images, but
with regular scenes I can't imagine why it would make any difference (except
that the 64-bit binary will be slightly slower than the equivalent 32-bit
binary).

  If you are using X preview, that's a different story, but that doesn't
really make sense for a final 10240x7680 render anyways. The preview window
is intended for fast test renders, not for ultra-large final renders.

  *If* POV-Ray takes more memory depending on the size of the output image,
that's more a symptom of a bug than a normal behaviour.