POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New editor for Linux : QTPOV Editor : Re: New editor for Linux : QTPOV Editor Server Time
6 Jul 2024 03:57:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New editor for Linux : QTPOV Editor
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 2 Nov 2003 10:08:02
Message: <3fa51dd1@news.povray.org>
> It requires QT 3.2 and X11 and it's not finish, so you can send me
> features requests

Nice concept.
Here is a list of little bugs and missing features:
That's just what comes to my mind to give you some ideas.

>you can now run ./qtpoveditor or install it where you want on your
>system.

Well... I'd suggest that default colors need to be adjusted.
I'm using Qt-3.2.1 and running the editor from the shell:

bash# ./qtpoveditor

...and all I get is all editor colors being black ending up in
black text on black background.

The "POVRay Output" tab has two entries called "Additional options",
one of them probably meaning "binary path".

Also, the layout allows too small window sizes...

The Replace dialog only has "Find" and "Cancel" buttons.

When quitting, the "Some files open..." dialog shows up even if
all open files are non-modified.

The render button has a tool tip "Unnamed".

The render button will try and render the previously opened file
even if this file is no longer open. Open files A and B, close A
and press render button -> renders A instead of B (the active tab
is the POVRay tab).
Then press the tab for file "B" -> SIGSEGV !

What is definitely missing:
- show matching brackets () {} <> []
- dialog for where to put the output file
- show complete povray command line as first line in the povray
  output window
- correct undo behaviour: when inserting text and then some edit menu
  code OR from the declarations window and then pressing undo, one would
  expect only the edit menu code/decl code to disappear but the
  text manually inserted before should stay there (and disappear with
  the next undo call)
- what about "Help" -> "About" ?
- support nested C-style comments /* /* cmt */ still cmt */
  just as POVRay does

Some cool features which are not as easy to implement:

- context-sensitive completion; if I type in
  "prism { li"  then it could smartly suggest to complete with
  "near_sweep". Have a look at good IDEs on how that is normally done.

- Text "folding".

- Improve editor... Currently the benifits and comfort of a good editor
  like nedit still outwage the additional functionality of QTPOV editor,
  at least for me.
To be concrete, I mean:
- Shortcuts for adding/subtracting indent space for selected lines.
- Shortcut "jump to matching bracket"
- goto line number
- find selected text
- I like the concept of using the shift key for the oppostite direction
  (find next/find prev; undo/redo...)
- cut, paste & move with mouse... unfortunately incompatible with Qt...

IMO, three click selection should select the complete line including
the \n at the end, but that's probably a Qt issue.

Cheers,
Wolfgang