POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 2 problems : Re: 2 problems Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2 problems
From: Hughes, B
Date: 2 Nov 2003 00:48:16
Message: <3fa49aa0@news.povray.org>
"Justin Smith" <t74### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> The air thickness looks about right, but I've noticed that objects casting
> shadows don't seem to be casting shadows through the air itself as I've
> seen in other scenes with media. Is there anything special I have to turn
> on that I've forgotten? There is a keyword "media_attenuation" that goes
in
> the light_source but I'm not really sure if that is it, and since it
> currently takes about 6 hours to render this image with media, I think it
> would be quicker to ask here.

Should not need media_attenuation on, since that is for fading the light as
it passes through the media. You'd likely get even less shadowing that way.
The scattering extinction 1 could be the culprit, so try it at 0 or near
zero and see if that helps or hinders what you had in mind for the overall
effect. Oh yeah, and use partial render output instead of the entire image
and you can see certain parts much quicker than that 6 hours. If you use the
Windows (or Mac) POV then click/drag the cursor at the spot needed to test.
Start with a small resolution to get the window to appear first then change
the output resolution before doing the selection area. Pardon me if you knew
about it already but sounded like you hadn't.

You have mentioned that you didn't like the bluish snow from radiosity being
used. Try setting its grey_threshold near to 1 (default is 0). That should
help prevent the color-bleed.

I saw your questions a couple days ago but I needed to check out what you
wanted to do about getting the snow to be more in the shadows than sunlit
sides of the terrain. I had done this kind of thing long ago but I had
practically forgotten how to use the slope pigment pattern. Maybe I've
relearned it again because I think I achieved the right effect after some
trial and error. Scaling was really throwing me off, I reduced your bounding
box vertically a lot, and changed a few aspects of the textures too.

I might have been better off searching for a previous scene file rather than
rewriting it.  :-)

Anyway, I'll post it over at povray.text.scene.files so you can have a look
at the changes. I'll call it "mountians with snow preferential to shadows"
so you'll know what to look for.

Bob H.