POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:48:42 EDT (-0400)
  Crash after 63 frames?
From: Scott Gammans
Date: 30 Oct 2003 11:53:09
Message: <3fa141f5$1@news.povray.org>
I'm not sure if this is a POV-Ray/Macintosh or MacMegaPOV problem, so I'll
try here first.

I am trying to run a rather long animation job (750 frames) on my G5
workstation (OS X 10.2.7, *not* Panther) using MacMegaPOV Carbon 1.0, and
without fail the job poops out after rendering 63 frames. I have the start
and end frames set to 638 and 1388 respectively, but after 63 frames
MacMegaPOV crashes and dies.

I learned a long time ago on the Windows version of regular (unpatched)
POV-Ray to not run a long animation batch inside POV-Ray because it doesn't
release the memory it allocates before starting another frame. Instead, I
run POV-Ray from the command line and feed it one frame at a time, thereby
ensuring that POV-Ray releases any allocated memory as it exits after
rendering each frame (my model uses a *lot* of texture, image and bump maps
and consumes 500+ MB of memory to render 1 frame). But since there is no
command line in Macintosh, I don't see any other alternative than to run
animation jobs inside MacMegaPOV.

Any suggestions??