POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Reducing memory usage : Re: Reducing memory usage Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reducing memory usage
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Oct 2003 04:25:03
Message: <3fa0d8ef@news.povray.org>
In article <3fa05697$1@news.povray.org> , Brent G <pov### [at] bc-hqcom>
wrote:

>> But that doesn't show the memory allocated by the application.  It only
>> shows the memory used by the application process.  Besides, the user didn't
>> mention the platform POV-Ray was running on.
>
> I was merely pointing out that is IS possible

See, the catch is that there is a big difference between the memory
allocated by the application for realy use and what the system shows as the
whole amount of memory used by the application.  It may not be clear to a
user, but for the developer it is clear that what the users can see has not
much to do with the realy amount of memory currently allocated by the
application.  As strange as it may sound, the system cannot efficiently
determine how much memory is exactly used by an application.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde