POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Editing vs. Rendering a file : Re: Editing vs. Rendering a file Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editing vs. Rendering a file
From: Hughes, B
Date: 23 Oct 2003 23:41:02
Message: <3f989f4e@news.povray.org>
Okay, figured it out. All I had to do is see how the pov file type was set
up and it was different from the default way Windows XP tries to set it.

The following line is used in the "application" field:

C:\PROGRA~1\POV-RA~1.5\bin\pvengine.exe /EDIT "%1"

Again, you will either need to add or edit the INC entry into the File Types
listing. Let me try and go step by step here in case anyone else happens
across this message thread.

Go into My Computer (or Explorer).

Tools menu, select Folder Options... (View menu, Options... if Win95/98).

Choose the File Types section.

Select INC from the list, if exists, or press New button to create it.

If exists, press Advanced button. If not, go back and select INC after
creation then do this part.

Now, name it POV-Ray include file in top field. Change icon if you like,
too.

Press the New... button (unless existed already).

For Action: type in  &Edit  and for Application used to perform action: use
C:\PROGRA~1\POV-RA~1.5\bin\pvengine.exe /EDIT "%1"  but based on the path
your POV-Ray is located if different, as well as version number (~1.5 here
is acutally 3.5, 3.1 would be ~1.1).

If you already had a INC entry then you'll press Edit... button instead of
New... (possibly even Remove an item first). And you can also make it the
Default action while there.

This should help, as I've tested it in XP here and it works right.

Bob H.