POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general :  : Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:18:15 EDT (-0400)
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 23 Oct 2003 17:13:49
Message: <3f98448d@news.povray.org>

mensaje news:3f97f42d$1@news.povray.org...
> I hope this is the best place to post this.
>
> I am getting back into povray (have been away for a while. . since ver 2)
> had a registered copy of Moray for windows but I lost the registration key
> and am looking into getting a new modeler.

> Has anyone used any of these? Moray Povlab 3d canvas or AC3D. I have tried
> the evaluation versions but they are crippled so I can not really get a
good
> feel until I invest a lot of time and money.

I use Moray (upgraded to version 3.5 recently). If you had Moray in the
past,
you only have to learn the new features (mesh editor, basically) and enjoy
others (OpenGL views, p.e.).
I think is the best modeller for Povray.
The evaluation version is not limited in any way (AFAIK), so you can use it
and decide.
Povlab, also AFAIK, is freeware since 2 or 3 years ago but it stopped its
development and it is still frozen.
I tried 3d canvas long ago, but it was so buggy that I forgot about it.
I haven't tried AC3D.

> Which modeler program offers the best value for the full registration
price?

IMHO Moray is the best. Apart of it, I use freeware modellers like:
Hamapatch, Anim8or, Wings3d and utilities like Poseray or UVMapper.
Hope this helps.

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com