POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Entering changed (70KB) - 1 attachment : Re: Entering changed (70KB) - 1 attachment Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Entering changed (70KB) - 1 attachment
From: Slime
Date: 22 Oct 2003 02:48:37
Message: <3f962845$1@news.povray.org>
> > Antialiasing was very slow so I rendered
> > the image twice the size that it is now
> > and then used an image editor program to
> > scale down the image (bicubic resampling).
>
> It shows. You need more samples than that to create smooth lines, and the
> jagged edges are definitely hurting the smoothness of this image. I
> recommend you try AA method 2 for your final render.

By the way, using AA method 1 with +R2 (2x2 samples) and, say, +A0.2 or so,
would have created the same effect in a lesser amount of time, since it's
just like doing a render at twice the size, only pixels which don't need the
AA aren't supersampled.

Well, actually, I guess that's not entirely true, since it would have to
take 4 *additional* samples per pixel, for a total of 5 samples per AA'ed
pixel. But after factoring in the number of pixels which would *not* have to
be supersampled, there's probably more gained than lost. Either way, +A0.0
+R2 would have done the same thing you did without the need for resizing
afterwards.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]