POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Takes on surrealism : Re: Takes on surrealism Server Time
1 May 2024 21:47:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Takes on surrealism
From: Shay
Date: 21 Oct 2003 12:08:42
Message: <3f955a0a$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

| "Perverse" was the actual word that kept coming into my head.

Yes, "Perverse" is a much better word for it. "Antagonistic" has a
negative connotation which I did not intend.

| I guess one point that I wanted to make was that this flat yet
| infinite soupy space was as common to surrealism as was the
| infinite horizon 'dreamscapes' of Dali and followers.

I have been experimenting *a lot* with things such as the "infinite
soupy space" as part of an overall attempt to separate a background from
foreground objects in architectural style images while avoiding the
massive depth and wild lens angles of architectural photography. I am
trying to find the least distorted way of depicting an infinite space
behind my subject. Not a void space, but a space full of atmosphere.

I have done several images with non-rational subjects and these types of
backgrounds, but will be applying what I have discovered to my current,
"rational", and possibly last image.

This one is a gift for my wife, so I need to be very careful. I know
that some of her favorite artists are Chagall, Morisot, Mondrian, and
Brassai. I also know that she likes video game type art (sci-fi,
final-fantasy type stuff). The sci-fi stuff would be a fun challenge,
and I'm pretty sure that I could capture enough of the look of a Brassai
to please her, but none of these would look correct in our home. On the
other hand, I can't really make something too abstract. My wife does not
have a lot in common with her family, so she will most enjoy a Dec. 25
present for which she can share her appreciation with them, rather that
something that would bring attention to their differences.

I have selected an easy way out of that dilemma. I'm going to dazzle
them all with details. My wife recognizes cg mud like "Pov Planet", so
for her sake these will need to be real details. The subject matter is
banal, but the level of detail will be striking. So striking that a
casual viewer (like a member of her family) *should* be so wowed by it
that he will hardly notice what I know to be the very unpopular style of
my images.

Anyway, back to where I started. The gift will have an infinite
atmosphere type background. Long way to get around to a point, I know.

 -Shay