POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie looking for tutorials : Re: Newbie looking for tutorials Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:03:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie looking for tutorials
From: Tom Melly
Date: 20 Oct 2003 07:37:57
Message: <3f93c915$1@news.povray.org>
<pen### [at] myrealboxcom> wrote in message

> No, I don't have a lot of money to spare, so books ($$$$) is out of the
question. All I can afford is to download all the tutorials into my computer so
I can learn
> from them, one at a time.

No problems there, there ain't no books.... (yet).

> If you know a good tutorial or two, please tell me. I'd be forever grateful,
and perhaps one day when I am rich enough, I'll treat you a round of beer (or
the
> beverage of your choice) for your help.

As has already been suggested, the manual provides a pretty thorough tutorial.
I'd also strongly recommend reading the pov vfaq at:
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/

and pay particular attention to this section:
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#rotating
(the bottom line of that one is practice rotating, scaling and translating
objects until you're sure you understand how transforms work).

Aside from that - start coding, and if you run into any problems just post a
call for help in this group, and you'll get a quick response.

BTW it's traditional that your first image should be a mirrored sphere hovering
over a checkered plane, and mine's a White Lady.