POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Re: Physics of Elastic : Re: Physics of Elastic Server Time
29 Jun 2024 07:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics of Elastic
From: Slime
Date: 20 Oct 2003 01:57:03
Message: <3f93792f$1@news.povray.org>
> My question: is the force excerted by the elastic linearly or
quadratically
> proportional to the amount you stretch it?

I believe the force is described by F = -kd, where k is some constant
describing how springy it is (higher k = greater force = stronger
springiness) and d is how far it's being stretched. So, yes, it's linear,
and the difference between a stretchy or rigid bit of elastic is the
constant k.

I forget what law this is... it's someone's "spring law" or something like
that. Learned it in high school Physics but I forget the guy's name...

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]