POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tweaking PoV-Ray's epsilon value? : Re: Tweaking PoV-Ray's epsilon value? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tweaking PoV-Ray's epsilon value?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 19 Oct 2003 14:39:37
Message: <3f92da69@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> No. Not generally, anyway. The epsilon and infinity limits could
> probably be loosened a little without problems, but in general are
> needed. Remember that intermediate values for the computations can go
> quite a bit higher than the parameters you specify for the objects, and
> can easily exceed the precision of the computer. If you really need this
> range of precision, you should probably render the large-scale parts
> separately from the small-scale parts and composite them together...but
> I can't imagine why you would need this. In any image where a structure
> the size of Pluto is visible, you aren't likely to see anything the size
> of an ameboa.

Judging from the number of posts I've seen about the "problem", I would
say there's a fair number of people who run up against the limits. I
think the last time it happened to me, I was trying to do a render on a
"realistic" earth and atmosphere.. perhaps unnecessary, but hardly as
absurd as rendering Pluto and an amoeba at the same time.

If the problem is one of precision, could greater limits be supported on
64-bit platforms?

-Xplo