POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Takes on surrealism : Re: Takes on surrealism Server Time
1 May 2024 23:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Takes on surrealism
From: Jim Charter
Date: 17 Oct 2003 14:00:29
Message: <3f902e3d$1@news.povray.org>

> from the MOMA. Like I said in my original comments, this picture makes
> me really wonder at your intent, Jim, because the depiction is so unlike
> Miro's own work or my expectation of his personality. In that sense,
> this picture is very surreal in the antagonistic way in which pictures
> of a black Santa Clause are surreal.

Yes I think this is an accurate criticism.  The intent was to juxtapose
the early stylization of a self-portrait he did with the stylization of
his later "Constellation" paintings and just see where it went.  I think
I also had in mind a drawing similar to this one

http://www.csulb.edu/~karenk/20thcwebsite/438final/ah438fin-Full.00053.html

that I was used to seeing hang in one of the museums here,... maybe the
MoMA. I remember it being quite pale and monochromatic. I thought of it
as kind of a surrealist mask.  But I agree that the colors in my tracing
took off on a course of their own and don't reflect Miro's color
sensibility too much.

-Jim