POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Takes on surrealism : Re: Takes on surrealism Server Time
1 May 2024 22:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Takes on surrealism
From: Shay
Date: 17 Oct 2003 12:42:07
Message: <3f901bdf$1@news.povray.org>
"gonzo" <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote in message

Firstly, thank you, Jim. I do feel, however, that many urban dwellers
would recognize the object and sentiment in the picture without an
explanation, especially if the picture were hanging on a wall. The size

being parallel with the bottom of the picture is a better reflection of
perception than of the reality that is expected in 3D images. I believe
that this type of picture loses a great deal when the viewer has been

other images in a short period of time. In the ironically less-literal
perception of the real world, the picture *should* appear more natural.

I do not like this topic because I think that surrealism ( in the
fashion most seen in this round  ) has a very limited vocabulary which
has been completely or very nearly exhausted. The problem in my mind is
that the emphasis is too much on the subject and not the presentation.
There are only a very small number of provocative subjects or

etc. The comparison of chess pieces to human beings and the game of

Those still messing around with surrealism to me seem to fall into two
categories. Those who keep reusing the classic images and those who
realize that those images have been overused, fill pictures with
nothing, and simply *expect* viewers to be provoked, this second group
being the type to frame a white canvas.

Awakening: I wonder if many pictures at all generated by this method
could help but look traditionally surreal. Brainstorming random objects
gives me little to work with to make a coherent scene. If surrealism
were new, then possibly hundreds of pictures could be produced by this m
ethod which would provoke viewers into hours of contemplation of the

scene, if unintentional, makes this an instructive experiment.

from the MOMA. Like I said in my original comments, this picture makes
me really wonder at your intent, Jim, because the depiction is so unlike
Miro's own work or my expectation of his personality. In that sense,
this picture is very surreal in the antagonistic way in which pictures
of a black Santa Clause are surreal.

finger on it when I first saw this picture, but have since recognized
the kitsch of Central American religious art which adds an extra
dimension to this picture and makes it far better than most of the
others. Of course, this look could be accident rather than borrowed
kitsch, but to a Texan it has strong and clear associations.

Fungi: Perhaps because the mushrooms are in a natural, if not logical,

is a picture that is put together very well and I think would be
interesting even if the mushrooms were cows or pigs. This is very subtle

Pov Planet: The think I like most about ray tracing is that a lot of

television create a forest in minutes with a few rough jabs of a large
brush. This is not possible in ray tracing. Pov Planet is an excellent
demonstration of that. Here, a bunch of crap is thrown together into a
noisy mess that is meant to pass for a detailed object. Judging by the

got to take notice of the true FREAKS in this world. Philip Chan is
keeping it real.

 -Shay