POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Takes on surrealism : Re: Takes on surrealism Server Time
2 May 2024 00:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Takes on surrealism
From: Jim Charter
Date: 16 Oct 2003 21:42:29
Message: <3f8f4905@news.povray.org>
gonzo wrote:
> Ok, just got back from a couple weeks diving & lobster hunting so I'm
> feeling much better now...
>
> My personal top 10 (no relation to official results)...
> Miro -  A surreal portrait of a surrealist artist, reflecting an environment
> of shapes and colors symbolizing humanity, including the artist himself,
> just as an artist reflects himself and his environment in his work. A
> beautifully recursive concept. Artistically superb, and technically
> excellent. My top pick.

Ron thanks for the compliments and the vote.  I found that while working
on my entry, the topic raised many questions that I couldn't really
answer.  That may be in part why I have been more quiet this round when
it comes to commenting on the winners.  I never really found a coherent
way to judge the entries.

Your entry, Awakening, I thought was an energetic and inventive approach
to the topic.  And you encountered some interesting issues.  By looking
for a way to incorporate chance into your image-making you highlighted a
couple of things.  One, that raytracing is primarily a depictional
paradigm.  Thus the raytracing artist is usually confronted with the
decision of what things to put into the picture.  Furthermore the scene
language actually implements this part of the process and makes it
potentially subject to automation.  Second, that any attempt to
introduce chance into the creative process must necessarily be only
partially successful. The use of chance must be contained within a
structure that you do make decisions about.  This is exactly the same
problem that early surrealists who experimented with chance came up against.

I thought Shay's entry, The Venue, also was very good.  It seemed to
point to the relationship between what is systematic and what is
arbitrary in the world, and seemed to draw an analogy with that
dichotomy and the contrast between what is public, and what is intensely
private, in experience.  Interpreting the meaning did rely on the
accompanying text and the text together with the image was engaging yet
arcane.  It brings Duchamp's, The Large Glass, to mind, especially with
the emphasis on what is inscrutible and private.  It seems that Shay is
trying very hard to forge a conceptual approach with his raytracing and
wanted to avoid, at any cost, terrain where the banalities of surrealism
intersected with the hackneyed effects of the medium.

One of the themes that runs through the history of surrealism is an
interest in the eye as an organ of perception, and its relationship with
other senses and means of perception.  Throughout surrealism the
dominance of the eye is accented with a relish for tactile effects.
Strong lighting using the Renaissance 1/3 rule is repeatedly used to
give us tactile hovering forms in a three dimensional space.  Raking
light sets off textured surfaces. Collages are composed from finely
crosshatched engravings. Tactility is a complex quality because it
requires our sense of the body as perceiver.  Yet it can also be
referenced indirectly, that is, through vision.  I thought that
Still-Life with Flower by Michael Hunter recalled this aspect of
surrealism very well.  The strong lighting sets the form of the flower
in sharp relief while the granular texture of the foreground plane is
carefully represented.  Another image that makes use of surface texture
to heightened effect is Fungi by Richard Massey.  The winning image by
Casey Uhrig also engages our sense of tactility with its stark,
overexposed rendering of form, its robust three-dimensionality, and the
implied prickly surface of the "world".  Another interesting encounter
with tactility is the image, Blue Cone, by Kelemen Csaba.
Content to be primarily, even whimsically, an abstract construction, the
image is strikingly beautiful.  Subtle surface effects keep the
background of saturated yellow under control, (the most difficult color
to handle, many painters would contest), while a scintillating cloud of
spheres spray the picture space, prickling the skin and dazzling the
eye. In another vein we have Veijo Vilva's, Before the First Concert.
Immaculate surfaces please the eye while exquisitely formed musical
instruments reference the ear as an organ of pleasure.

Though I can't recall, I almost certainly voted in favor of "surrealism"
on the topic suggestion system. The humanism of the topic would have
appealed to me.  But as I began work on my own entry I suspected that
the topic might prove troublesome when providing a focus for the
contest.  The problem it seemed to me is that surrealism lived as a high
Art movement, informed many other art movements, then lived on as a form
of popular culture.  With its multivalent relationship with both high
and low culture, it is impossible for me to separate out all the
possible influences that inform my concept of "surrealism".

I remember an art history course I took with the painter, Bruce Boice.
During a break he was describing his teenage son's artwork.  He
characterized its album cover style as "a kind of adolescent seeking of
truth-in-strangeness".  I always thought that that comment summarized
what is an enduring attraction of surrealist art, the sense of
alienation, strangeness, and intense emotion combined with a seeking of
"truth". One of the ways that this is manifest is with the creation of
an atmosphere of malevolence, malaise, pregnant anticipation,
foreboding, or density. Two images that are notable for recalling this
quality are Ordutemps by Anne Monti and DaliLove by Helene Dumur.  In a
more literary way, the need to confront the absolute through the choice
of subject illustrates these same characteristics in Death of a Mind by
Florian Kastell.  The convoluted subject illustrated in Harvest by Steve
Paget signals a similar intention.  Ice on Fire by Elwin Way makes a
depictional attempt to embody a conceptual dichotomy.

The winning image, Povworld, reflects yet another theme that I associate
with the later influences of surrealism.  That is to say themes about
the relationship of the geometric and mechanical to the structure of the
organic and the natural.

Well, this is getting a bit long.

-Jim