POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : looks_like? : Re: looks_like? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looks_like?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 13 Oct 2003 09:35:20
Message: <3f8aaa18@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
news:cja### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> I think you're seeing a problem where there isn't one, or just not clearly
> explaining what the problem is...

Thought I was being clear in that I was checking this out by using a simple
CSG union of only a cone and sphere where it should cast a shadow from one
to the other's surface in a shadowable light. That CSG being used then as a
looks_like object, of course, doesn't have shadow but then neither does any
shadowing show from lights elsewhere.

I now know what you are saying about the self-shadowing though. I usually
take it to be that a dark side is a "self" shadow. What you meant is that a
torus, for example, with no_shadow applied does not cast a shadow across
itself from one edge to the other. I don't always get these characteristics
right but I do remember that being a classic example before.

This whole thing is really about whether or not shadowing caused by light
sources, other than the one containing it in a looks_like statement, would
exist. It doesn't seem correct to remove the shadow which could be produced
by all other light sources just because it's a looks_like object. For
instance, a light bulb casts a shadow from sunlight. This has been discussed
a lot before, I know.

Hopefully I'm getting somewhere with this.  :-)

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com