POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Takes on surrealism : Takes on surrealism Server Time
1 May 2024 19:50:29 EDT (-0400)
  Takes on surrealism
From: gonzo
Date: 10 Oct 2003 18:28:15
Message: <3f87327f@news.povray.org>
Ok, just got back from a couple weeks diving & lobster hunting so I'm
feeling much better now...

My personal top 10 (no relation to official results)...
Miro -  A surreal portrait of a surrealist artist, reflecting an environment
of shapes and colors symbolizing humanity, including the artist himself,
just as an artist reflects himself and his environment in his work. A
beautifully recursive concept. Artistically superb, and technically
excellent. My top pick.

Modfruit -  Another masterpiece suffering from a surreal artistic score
(!?!?!)  A surreal twist on the often controversial real topic of genetic
modification, presented in a beautiful array of colors and lighting.
Technically excellent, great job on the isosurfaces. My #2.

Majesty -  A beautiful excursion into a surreal endgame.  The desolate
background symbolizes the chess players exclusion of all else, focusing only
on the game. The threaded objects hanging overhead impart both a feeling of
impending doom and simultaneously a hint of possible escape. Excellent
lighting.   A good #3.

Twisted -  Beautiful mix of confinement & openness. Technically &
conceptually excellent. Artistically I felt the dominance of the flat
background and open sky in the top half of the image detracted, otherwise
this would have been # 3.

Attainment -  Conceptually & artistically superb.  A beautiful and original
exploration of the theme.  Technically lacking a bit in depth, better
lighting would help, and better modeling of the foreground objects instead
of image maps. Overall though, an excellent image.

Flower -  A nicely crafted flower that hints at several human themes; the
eye looking heavenward, the tears, the roots breaking out of the confinement
of the flowerpot. The vivid colors of the plant and table speak of life, and
stand out in a barren surrounding, devoid of life and offering no answers.
Nicely done.

Memorial -  A technical masterpiece that forces the viewer to look and look
again.  Artistically and conceptually however it seems static, there is no
sense of direction or resolution. Perhaps some reaction from the woman, or
some focal point on the wall that she might be drawn to.  Still, an
excellent image.

Rewind -  Nothing in particular about this really stands out, I just like
it.  Good old fashioned solid across the board competence artistically,
technically & conceptually.  Sometimes, that's what it takes.

Death of a Mind -  A haunting and emotional image. Excellent implementation
of a complex concept. I think a little more color variation in the lighting
would help portray some of the complexity of the human mind & spirit, but a
great image nonetheless.

Odd -  Although hurt on the originality score by the high number of
Dali-esque entries, I thought this one was still quite good enough to stand
on it's own.  Shows a good understanding of both Dali and his surrealism
style. Excellent composition & use of color.

There were far too many good entries in this round to dicuss all of them, so
following is a list of other favorites:
Two Roses
Threshhold
Life time on the beach