POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : looks_like? : Re: looks_like? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looks_like?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 10 Oct 2003 16:54:29
Message: <3f871c85@news.povray.org>
"Bill Hails" <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote in message
> Christopher James Huff wrote:
> >
> >> Secondly, what's the difference between looks_like and just putting a
> >> light source at the centre of an object and making the object
no_shadow?

> > The looks_like object is shadowless to its light, but can cast shadows
> > from other lights. Otherwise, it behaves like any other object.

Well, I was about to go ahead and take it for granted that this is true. I
just had to see it for myself. I didn't find any shadows from other light
sources, whether the looks_like object is semi-transparent or opaque. Also,
only has self-shadowing on a per primitive basis too. In a union of sphere
and cone, for example, each doesn't cast a shadow onto  the other.

Bob H.