POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixel display - Just curious : Re: Pixel display - Just curious Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixel display - Just curious
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Oct 2003 08:23:42
Message: <3f86a4ce$1@news.povray.org>
In article <eupbov4h7jufaee50b6ipuig6if1e0jar8@4ax.com> , AF
<xxa### [at] notvalidxxnetdoorcom>  wrote:

> One of the reasons I asked this question was to settle an argument.
> POV docs are clear that the video card is not a part of the rendering
> speed equation.  From the responses here, depending on the GUI, a few
> milli-seconds or in a few cases perhaps a few seconds might be saved
> with a really fast video card.

No, it much more depends on the operating system and how much it abstracts
drawing.  I.e. the most extreme case, the drawing could take place not even
on your system but a remote system.

In any case, the video card will not matter at all. The operating system
will do much more than just draw that little pixel. It has to factor in that
the section the pixel is drawn in for example isn't visible at all, among
many other things.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde