POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : looks_like? : Re: looks_like? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looks_like?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 9 Oct 2003 20:47:14
Message: <3f860192@news.povray.org>
"Bill Hails" <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote in message

> There's a couple of things I'm not sure about with respect to looks_like.
>
> Firstly there are two locations: the location of the light source and the
> location of the object. I'm not sure if the light source gets transposed,
> or if it only appears to shine through the object.
>
> Secondly, what's the difference between looks_like and just putting a
> light source at the centre of an object and making the object no_shadow?

Ack! I sure can foul up when I jump to quickly to answer things like this.
Don't know why my memory fails so badly sometimes. Unless you can't guess, I
had already posted an incorrect reply here and then cancelled it.

Let me see if I can manage to do better this time. It does indeed move the
object to the light's position.

Other than that, no, it doesn't shine light through it as though it were a
hole in an otherwise solid universe. Only allows light to pass without any
shadowing attached. What I mean by this, there isn't any projected light
through the looks_like object in the sense that if it were offset from the
light source location light would not beam outward from the object.

projected_through could help to pipe the light through an object if you
wanted the light shining from elsewhere but through the object.  Either way
you lose any filtered or transmitted coloring due to lack of shadow.

It's essentially what no_shadow does, just tied to the light more directly
than if were by a union instead.

Sorry for the mistake before, if anyone saw that too.  :-X  Again, if I'm
wrong in any way about the above answer maybe the POV-gods will take pity on
me.  :-)

Bob H.