POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hot hot hot! : Re: hot hot hot! Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hot hot hot!
From: Barron Gillon
Date: 3 Oct 2003 20:37:04
Message: <3f7e1630$1@news.povray.org>
Thankyou for your input everyone.  The problem seems to have been resolved.
There was a TON of dust in the heatsink, so I just cleaned that out, put on
a resh layer of thermal paste (Arctic Silver III, pricy stuff), and things
seem to be back under control.  It idles around 122, 123 F (50-51 C), and
during a 7 minute test render it got up to 55...  Too hot for a purist, but
then it has always run a little hot.  At least I don't have to worry about
it melting if I let it render overnight or something.  In responce to
Patric, yes I am using a better heatsink, a Volcano 6 CU+, if that means
anything to you.  It's not all copper, but it is quite a bit larger than the
one AMD sent me.  Voided the warranty by using it, too...  Finally, I'd like
to extend my condolances to ABX, and admiration for putting up with what
must be astronomical render times on that P233!

Barron