POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hot hot hot! : hot hot hot! Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  hot hot hot!
From: Barron Gillon
Date: 3 Oct 2003 04:08:51
Message: <3f7d2e93$1@news.povray.org>
I'm wondering if anyone here has some insights on how to keep my CPU a
little bit cooler without anything drastic (moding my case, for example).  I
have an Athlon XP 1800+ running at 68 C at the moment.  Strictly speaking,
it isn't idle, but it may as well be, and that is obviously way too hot no
matter what it's doing.  During a long POV render... well, I just finished a
7 minute render, and the temp is up around 77.  It wasn't always like this,
either.  This is actually a fairly recent development.  So, I'm asking all
of you if anyone has any ideas
a) why it might be running so much hotter (I added a new DVD/CD-RW drive
about a month ago, but that shouldn't be a problem), and
b) what can I do about it?
I've got a pretty nice Antec case, it's fairly large with two exhaust fans
in addition to the power supply fans.  I've got room in the fron for two
intake fans, but I'm not sure if that would make much difference.  I just
opened it up, and there are no real obvous obstructions.  Things are a
little bit dusty, but I've seen much worse.  Any input would be much
appreciated!

Barron Gillon