POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC Stills Surrealism results : Re: IRTC Stills Surrealism results Server Time
29 May 2024 01:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Stills Surrealism results
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 26 Sep 2003 16:36:56
Message: <3f74a368@news.povray.org>

news:3f748d35@news.povray.org...

> Technical Merit? Yes, many beautiful abstract images can be made with
> seed(123) and a few while loops. I see that you're impressed with this
> one, but the voting categories make it plain to me that this competition
> is about the artistic as well as constructive nature of 3D images.

I think that dismissing this picture on the ground of being just a few
rand() and loops doesn't do it justice.
What impresses me is in fact the artistic merit, i.e., the composition, the
choice of colours etc (and I'm not even too much into this sort of
math/abstract sort of 3D these days). I find some of the details just
delightful, like the little round half transparent screens or the elevated
borders of the holes, or the way the author used overexposition or the whole
tone range. True, the basics are simple (just primitives and some rand())
but it's all the more impressive. Having done my share of "let's use random,
perhaps it will turn out pretty" sort of images, I also tend to appreciate
this when it succeeds. For me, it's a good (and necessary) reminder that one
can do great things with little means but with a sure taste and a strong
imagination.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com