POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh2 to mesh : Re: mesh2 to mesh Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh2 to mesh
From: nospam
Date: 24 Sep 2003 19:57:59
Message: <3f7224e9.30888918@localhost>
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:58:21 -0400, "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress>
wrote:

>No direct answers here, but some suggestions...
>
>>  1) a normal vector for each vertex
>
>Perhaps you can just delete the entire normal_vectors and normal_indices
>blocks? If there are certain edges that you wanted to remain "hard", that
>can be set in wings itself. I'm not sure exactly what you don't like about
>having all of the normal vectors.

I make "greebly"[1] angular linear shapes.  The normals make
everything kind of, umm, plush and rounded ... sort of
melted.  It looks really bad.

>>  2) a texture index for each triangle  (this is kind of
>>     annoying because I can't then apply a texture to
>>     occurances of the mesh later on)
>
>I've also found this feature annoying. To fix it, I select the face_indices
>block, and do a search-and-replace, replacing ">,0," with ">,". This removes
>all of the texture indices, except maybe the very last one.

This is a very good idea.  Thank you!

>> What I would like to do is strip off the normal &
>> texture information and also convert the mesh2 object to a
>> regular mesh object.
>
>Why do you prefer mesh over mesh2? They both contain the same data, but mesh
>is (*much*) slower to parse.

The mesh object is much better for hand text editing.
It's hard for me to keep track of points while
editing a mesh2 object.

--
[1] Example of "greebles": hull plating of the
    Millenium Falcon