POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing : Re: Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature idea: Superpixel Antialiasing
From: Rune
Date: 22 Sep 2003 12:36:32
Message: <3f6f2510$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> No, this won't work.  Also you don't notice
> most of the time, anti-aliasing does nothing
> when it comes to finding small details.  All
> it does is smooth out sharply separated
> details that were already "known" (visible).

I already mentioned that details smaller than the specified superpixel
size would not be detected. Isn't that what you're talking about? If you
choose to render with 8x8 superpixels, then a 6 pixels wide sphere
easily could get lost. However, the border of a 100 pixels wide sphere
would be completely sharp - wouldn't it?

So certainly, the feature would not work well for some scenes with very
small details, but for many scenes I think it would work brilliantly,
especially if you keep the superpixels reasonable small, like 4x4 or 2x2
(which would still give a huge speed-up).

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Jul 25**