POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Further POV-Ray development : Re: Further POV-Ray development Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Further POV-Ray development
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 21 Sep 2003 10:47:37
Message: <3f6dba09$1@news.povray.org>
Don't ask. Just wait.
AFAIK, POV-Ray 3.51 is being made,
what exactly is taken care of in that update
I don't know.
POV-Ray 4 is so far just a "myth", I guess
once 3.5 is "fixed", meaning that minor issues
and rare bugs (if there indeed are any) are
considered "done", we'll use that for some
time, and then rejoice when we hear that
POV 4 is going to the Beta-Stages.

Consider that POV-Ray is a group-effort
of talented programmers which don't get
paid for doing this (hopefully they get paid
for other work! :-) and sure spend a lot of
time taking care of things so that people
not that much into programming POV-Ray
themselves (like myself) still have a functional
and predictiv script to play with.

As a sidenote: everytime this question is asked,
people say they're curious, not pushing, but
actually, if you just use the web-interface and
do a search, you'll find that about once every
month this question gets asked, and the same
answers are received:
Its finished when its finished.

The POV-Team will surely keep us updated
if and when they have something worthwhile
to say regarding the development of actual
or next release of POV-Ray.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> DISCLAIMER:
>             1. I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this Q
>             2. I know the devs have put a lot of hard work into POV
>             3. I'm not being pushy, just curious!
>
> QUESTION:
>
> What is the current status of POV-Ray development? Is it on pause, or are
> steps being made toward a next 3.x release or even 4.0? I haven't really
> heard anything since the 3.5 release and I was wondering as to what might
> be coming. Are there concrete lists of features slated for
> inclusion/update/rewrite in future releases?

---